Review: Overboard




Title: Overboard
Author: Elizabeth Fama
Series: N/A, Standalone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Publication Date: February 8th 2005
Publisher: Laurel Leaf
My Rating: 4 Stars


  One moment of rashness, and fourteen-year-old Emily Slake finds herself amid hundreds of panicked and drowning people in the dark ocean waters off Sumatra. Miles from shore without a life vest, she resolves to survive. But in facing the dangers of the ocean, the desperation of her fellow survivors, and her own growing exhaustion, Emily must summon wits and endurance she's not sure she has.

  Striking out on her own, Emily encounters Isman, a frightened young Muslim boy, floating in a life vest. Together they swim for their lives, relying on Emily's physical strength and Isman's quiet faith.

  Based on a true story, Overboard is both a riveting tale of survival and a sensitive portrayal of cross-cultural understanding in a time of crisis.


  Normally, Overboard is not a book that I would pick up. But since I got the book, I thought, why not read it? It has less than 200 pages after all. And upon opening the book, I was surprised that it was actually signed! Aren't I just lucky.

  To be honest, this book is not my taste so I didn't really enjoy it as much as I would want to. But taste aside, I have to admit that it was a pretty good book. It's my fault that I wasn't able to get into it, not the book's nor the author's fault.

  Overboard is different than any other book I've ever read. It's about a sinking ship and helping each other to survive. In some ways, it's also about fate and faith. It's about friendship and not giving up. It's about the difference between being positive and being realistic. 

  It was scary in a way that it was too real. It already happened, so what's preventing the same thing from happening to anyone? It really made me think and somehow it also made me a bit uneasy, thinking over that fact.

  Overboard was a quick and gripping read. It had my heart racing and I really connected with the main character. It was only when I finished reading that I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. This one is definitely a unique and interesting read. It's not for me, but I still recommend it.


4 wonderful, all the feels stars



Labels: , , , ,