Review: Love Like Crazy



Title: Love Like Crazy
Author: Megan Squires
Series: N/A, Standalone
Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publish Date: October 14th, 2014
Rating: 2.5 Stars
Relationships.
Love.
Life.

  All things that can be considered—and oftentimes are—just a bit crazy.

  With an alcoholic father and an absentee mother, seventeen-year old Eppie Aberdeen has learned firsthand that life’s circumstances aren’t always sunshine and roses.

  So Eppie doesn’t expect the fairytale, because reality certainly isn’t one. She’s not waiting on the handsome prince with his white horse to come to her rescue. But even though she’s not waiting on it, that doesn’t stop nineteen-year-old Lincoln Ross from driving straight into her heart with his teal and white campervan and his too tall stature and perpetually goofy grin.

  It’s difficult to believe in a happily ever after when a happy now is quite hard to find. But Lincoln gives Eppie hope that despite the odds, a true and unconditional love might actually be out there. A revised fairytale. A new kind of love story.

  But then again, that might just be plain crazy.
  Love Like Crazy seemed like such a promising read, and I couldn't help but be excited by the prospect of reading it, but when I finally read it, it was not what I expected at all. Judging by the cover of the book, it seemed like a light, fluffy and cute read, but the synopsis and the book clearly says otherwise. I went into this expecting a great, meaningful book, but what I got was definitely not that.

What I loved:
  I loved that this book maintained a light feel to it despite tackling heavy subjects. I know it sounds weird, but I really liked it. Most books like this one would leave me feeling depressed after reading them, but amazingly, this one didn't, and for that I am glad. It's refreshing, in a weird kind of way. I also loved that there were many great quotes from this novel, and there were a lot of lessons to be taken away from them. I also loved Phil, my favorite character, because of everything he did for the main character.

What I hated:
  The pace was slow at times, and then it became fast, events congested in a few pages, and then slow again, which I really, really hated. That made it hard to read and made me confused at times. Towards the end, I found myself just skimming the words, until it came to a point where I skipped all the narratives altogether and just read the conversations. I hated how cheesy Lincoln was, because there came a point when everything he said became excessive, and there were times when the speeches didn't sound natural. It was annoying, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes a couple of times. I also hated how unexpected the turn of events became. There was a big twist towards the end, but there weren't anything AT ALL pertaining to it in the first parts of the novel. It was like the idea just sprang out of nowhere, and I was left confused.

  I couldn't say that I hated this book, because clearly, there were some things that I enjoyed, but I couldn't say that I liked it either. I'm giving this book 2.5 stars.


Labels: , , , ,