Review: Isla and the Happily Ever After



Title: Isla and the Happily Ever After
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #3
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publication Date: August 14th, 2014
My Rating: 3.5 Stars
  Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on introspective cartoonist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to confront the challenges every young couple must face, including family drama, uncertainty about their college futures, and the very real possibility of being apart.

  Featuring cameos from fan-favorites Anna, Étienne, Lola, and Cricket, this sweet and sexy story of true love—set against the stunning backdrops of New York City, Paris, and Barcelona—is a swoonworthy conclusion to Stephanie Perkins’s beloved series.

  Isla has had a crush on Josh since their first year in school in Paris. After accidentally meeting each other in Manhattan, Isla and Josh meets again in School of America in Paris and slowly their friendship begins to build until it becomes something more.

  Having have read and loved the first two books of this series, my expectations were quite high for this one, but when two of my friends disliked it, I decided to lower my expectations. However, despite doing so, I still found myself disappointed by this book, and I can easily say that this is my least favorite book of the three.

  I felt like compared to the first two books, there was not much substance to this one. Nothing much was going on, but the book was long. Also, I hated the main characters. Isla was too whiny, clingy and needy, while Josh was a jerk at times. It's like Isla couldn't live without Josh's attention even just for a day, while there were times that Josh just didn't care. I get that Josh has a complicated life, but just, no. 

  I actually had to force myself to read this one because I didn't like this as much as the other two books. Thankfully, the last 15% or so salvaged the book for me. I could have rated the part with the cameo of the characters from the first two books plus the ending five stars! But sadly, only the last part was amazing. 

  Despite me not liking this book, however, I still look forward to reading Stephanie Perkins' future books. I just hope that they will be better than this one, becauseI really love her other works.


“I am hard on myself. But isn’t it better to be honest about these things before someone else can use them against you? Before someone else can break your heart? Isn’t it better to break it yourself?”

Labels: , , , ,